Chant d’amour … at the SMCQ
November 10, 2016
The SMCQ revives a major work from one of its founders and directors Serge Garant. The texts from his love song are taken from age-old sources words (Petrarch, Shakespeare, Ronsard) from definitions of the word “love” taken from French, English and Spanish dictionaries, from modern graffiti and… “classified ads!” The renowned Quebec composer will be accompanied by one of Karlheinz Stockhausen’s works, whose piece Kontakte marked a significant stage in contemporary music by using percussion coupled with the electronics for the first time.
This concert is dedicated to the memory of Serge Garant and Marcel Barbeau.
The concert will be preceded by…
- an exhibition of Marcel Barbeau’s works, inspired by K. Stockhausen (6 pm)
- a round-table discussion concerning Serge Garant (7 pm) with:
- Marie-Thérèse Lefebvre, musicologist, historian and professor
- Paul Bazin, musicologist and author
- Jean Boivin, musicologist and professor
piano, percussion, and 4-track tape
Serge Garant, … chant d’amours (1975)soprano, mezzo-soprano, baritone, cello, two horns, three trumpets, three trombones, two harps, two percussions, and fixed medium
For more information : http://www.smcq.qc.ca/smcq/en/montreal/51/concerts/36384/
- Regular: $30.00
- Senior: $20.00
- Student: $15.00